This came up in a recent discussion with a client and is a work in progress. My preliminary notes are below.
Social media is best used as a marketing approach…
- To intercept and overhear comments from the public.
- When you have something to share that people will want to share with others.
- When you have the time and resources allocated to interact with everyone who responds.
- When you want to hear from people directly.
- When you want to connect with a specific niche or special-interest group.
Social media is not effective for…
- One-way communications or one-time messaging. Always expect dialog.
- Wide reach, except as part of an integrated advertising and PR campaign. The numbers aren’t there yet. The viral videos that get millions of views are the exception, not the rule.
- Controlling the message.